7.07.2008

Nasty Little Aphids

Gross picture alert! *shudder*




Alright folks. The little bastards have smothered the inside of my cabbages, prohibiting my wee ones from forming heads. I have found a minor amount inside of the cauliflowers and searched the rest of the plants which all look OK. I think I may swing over to the garden center for some lady bugs too.

I sprayed them with a mixture of hot peppers and vinegar. The powdery substance that they produce caused a bit of the liquid to just "roll off" but I hope it still works.

If I spray them off with a high power nozzle (which is recommended on several organic sites) will they just spread to the other plants or die from drowning?

Either way, any help would be appreciated.

8 hoots and hollers:

Anonymous said...

Poor aphids -- they are often the slaves of ant colonies, did you know? They are milked like cows by the ants.

We use a garlic and liquid soap combo, stored in a spray bottle. When we had an infestation, we left the bottle available to the girls, and whenever they felt like it, they were allowed to squirt the plants. (In other words, organic methods take time, they are not magic bullets).

Good luck!

barefoot gardener said...

I'm a failure! I have no ideas to share.....

Wendy said...

I've never had much of a problem with these guys. sorry, I'm no help. But, I agree with Peaceable that if you put the solution in a squirt bottle and tell the kids to keep an eye out, they'll stay at it night and day (at least mine has).

Jederah said...

Dont ladybugs eat aphids? Or is it nematodes. I know there is something out there that eats aphids

Lisa said...

Hey Misty, I hope everything is going okay with you. I miss your posts!

Wendy said...

I hope the ladybugs have been successful for you!!!

Rev. Peter Doodes said...

Long time no post Misti. I know we all hope that everything is OK for you.

Rev. Peter Doodes said...

It has been a year Mysti, we all miss you...

 
template by suckmylolly.com