5.06.2008

Giving It Up

Wendy had a wonderfully thought provoking post about giving up comfortable amenities while being able to keep others. There are several things that I already go without, so it's been hard making a list, but here goes:

A. Washing Machine
B. Hot Water Heater
C. Television / Electronics
D. Computer
E. Dryer
F. Ice Box
G. Dishwasher
H. Microwave
I. Stove and Oven
J. Air Conditioning
K. Car

My list consists of some items I already do without. Sometimes it's tempting to revert back to using some things because it's so damn convenient, but I am choosing to stick with it for the simple fact that I have to live with myself at the end of the day. No, I don't mean it as if I am a horrid person if I use them.. I just mean because I am trying to make a conscious choice to make change and by not standing my my decisions, I let myself down. So lets look at the list shall we?

Washing Machine: I prefer to keep it, thank you. I use the appropriate setting to save water (such as the load size) and I use cold water as much as possible. Could I wash by hand or a electric free machine? Sure. So I want to? That's another story. If I had to I would. I think any of us would if necessary...

Hot Water Heater: Need my hot showers. I agree with Wendy that this is more of a "system" but I added it because it does work in conjunction to several things on the list. This one is a keeper! **See edit below.

Television: Sometimes I wish we didn't have it. Even for movies. I have kept the television off even after the Turn Off the TV Week challenge. Today the cable is being shut off.We do rent movies from the Hollywood video down the street and sometimes I think we do it to often. Television keeps us uninformed, glassy-eyed, and dependent. It takes our attention away from what is really happening in the world and only keeps children anxious for the next-big-thing, the material side of living. I hate it. This one can go! (Other electronics - I like music but actually I can play anything on my computer so I don't technically have to have a stereo.)

Computer: Nope. Must stay. I do research, homeschooling assignments may find the computer necessary, I play music, and keep in touch with to many people to let this one go. Teenager and I did have a conversation about the importance of letters in the past and how valuable they became to people because of the time it took to receive them. We really don't get the concept and while that is sad to think about, I will only give up my computer if pried from my cold dead hands. It stays!

Dryer: I already gave this up for the most part. I have only used it once in the last 3 weeks and so far I don't have any complaints. Everything dries faster, believe it or not, and smells really good. It remains unplugged. Come winter time, I may feel different, but for right now.. i'm doing OK. It can go!

Ice Box: I prefer to keep it but as we don't eat meat I guess it's a lot less necessary that I may think. I'll hold onto it for a bit longer just in case. Stay!

Dishwasher: I wash by hand even though I have one. It's perfectly functioning, but it's easier and faster to just wash as I go so i'm not waiting to fill up the racks in order to wash a full load. It can go!

Microwave: I have it (built into the kitchen) but I don't use it simply because of what it does to the molecular structure of the food. It's not necessary and I have gone years without using one. I get by just fine. It can go!

Stove / Oven: Fact is, I need this. At least I think I do. OK, i'll rephrase that.. I WANT IT! I would like to build a solar oven some day and use it on occasion when it's to warm in the house and frankly, it would be fun. Come winter time though, I think I would enjoy cooking inside. It stays!

Air Conditioning: I have been without central air for years now. It doesn't bother me in Colorado. We have had a window unit before and it's helpful for sure. This new house has a very small one that i'm not quite sure would make a big difference, but regardless.... it will be a while before it's turned on if at all. Either way, I could live without it. It could go!

Car: I always thought it would be quite the adventure to be car-less but with a family it's more difficult to do so. Jim and Peggy over at Earth Home Garden have been car free for eleven years but this occurred AFTER their family flew the nest. Who knows, maybe in the future. We do use our car a lot less than before and walk most places that are close by. We were able to go 2 weeks without putting any fuel into the car. It's getting better. The question is, however, could I give it up? The answer would have to be yes. But that's if I had too. So this one stays!


Wendy would have to comment if I got the basic premise of this challenge. There are several things I have given up by choice, and though her question is more about giving things up because you have to, I guess the honest answer would have to be everything could go. My only concern is my family and so long as we are all together, healthy, and strong I could live without amenities of convenience. Really I don't know if I can say what I would give up in order to keep because I would give it all up if I had too.

And in the end, if I had to give up electricity I would. It keeps us separated from the ebb in life; the cycles. Cities that are lit up 24 / 7 have no concept of regeneration, of connecting deeper to the earth and Her rhythm. We might learn a lot.

**Edit: While standing in the shower I realized that I could go without the hot water heater, which would then mean letting go of a few other things. Just give me an old fashioned copper tub and I think we could manage. It could double to wash laundry in. Ya know, Teenager wanted to do something like Frontier House, Colonial House, or 1900's House all of which were PBS specials. I wonder if we could and for how long. Also, Little Bear is sitting here informing me that under no circumstances am I to write about letting go of the television or his video games. From the mouth of an 11 year old boy....

9 hoots and hollers:

barefoot gardener said...

"And in the end, if I had to give up electricity I would. It keeps us separated from the ebb in life; the cycles. Cities that are lit up 24 / 7 have no concept of regeneration, of connecting deeper to the earth and Her rhythm. We might learn a lot."



I think you hit on exactly what I have been feeling lately. As much as electricity is part of every aspect of my life, I wonder if my life wouldn't be better without it. I think being able to focus more on the NATURAL rhythms of life would be so much better. I don't know what we were thinking as a society when we decided that getting away from our natural cycles was a good thing.

Melisa & Erik Nielsen said...

I enjoy your blog! I couldn't go without the washer either... or the computer...I might be able to get away with cooler showers in the warmer months but it is just cold in Idaho the rest of the time so the hot water stays too!

I love your "Have you evolved" button! Erik and I are always talking about how life is a perfect mixture of the two... blessings!

Mysti said...

Barefoot - I absolutely know what you mean. Teenager even suggested we try and live without lights at night, reading by gas lamps (I have several of them) but there is also the idea that, as our ancestors, we should go to sleep and rise with the sun to accomplish that connection to the rhythms. Maybe one day i'll brave her challenge and set a goal of a week or two to see what happens. Everyone else would need to agree too. Bear would probably do it. :)

Melisa! I am so honored you have stopped by. I'm a bad little lurker over at your place, which I LOVE, but will make it a point to comment in the future. I'm blog shy. LOL

*bows*

Imperatrix said...

This is a great idea. I think that for many people, to remove the things you discuss would necessitate a huge change in living: you know, air drying laundry, washing dishes (and/or clothes), solar oven (we ordered one from a cooperative a while ago and it still hasn't arrived!) require more free time than many people have, considering their workaday lives.

My dream house would have not only an outdoor kitchen (to keep the house cooler during the summer months) but an outdoor shower. Those shower bag things work really well, and they heat the water pretty quickly, too!

Lisa said...

This is a great post. I think I might do a similar one, because it has inspired me to really think about what I use and need.

Em said...

Very nice post. I know we use more than we should of many conveniences. We no longer use the AC...and we try to save as much water as possible. But it sure would be hard to completely do without some of these things with 3 kids in the house.

Hmmmm....food for thought.

Wendy said...

I think you did just fine. The spirit of the challenge is to make you think about those things we consider "necessary" in our "modern" lives, and that's what you did.

Thanks for playing ... and spreading the word. It's good to challenge ourselves to think outside of the "norm." I think that being able to do so will be what saves us - should the sh*t really hit the fan ;).

Jederah said...

I have missed your writings glad you are back.

Unknown said...

I don't think that I would be very good at this. I could live without the tv and we have in the past. I could get rid of every Nintendo, game boy and playstation tomorrow without a second thought. We don't have a dishwasher and most likely won't get one in this house.

I would not be able to give up my hot water heater, washer or dryer. My ds has horrible allergies so I cannot hang our clothes outside to dry. I also have to wash his bedding once a week in very hot water.

 
template by suckmylolly.com