5.25.2008

Lots of Catching Up to Do and Call for Advice!

OK guys - we've had such a busy few weeks so this is going to be a serious mixed bag.

Last weekend we had an awesome time. We went to Dinosaur Ridge to see the tracks preserved in stone and since Little Bear is a fanatic for all things dino related (besides his insatiable apatite for Titanic history) this was loads of fun.




The tracks are found on the side of Hogback Ridge. It looks like the dinosaurs walked up the side of a mountain causing your imagination to run wild. Obviously the tracks were formed before the ridge but it funny to imagine anyhow. There were water ripples all over the place from when it was an ocean. Such incredible evolutionary evidence, but I won't go there. ;~)

We ended up on a trail (Dakota Trail) and hiked the Hogback (or as I like to call it; a mini-mountain) and had a fantastic time. The trail follows the entire back of the ridge and I was very proud of myself. 6 - 12 months ago, I would have NEVER made it but changing my eating and lifestyle has allowed me to enjoy such things as of recent. It makes it all worth it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Friday morning I was sitting here checking e-mail when I heard Little Bear get up and head to the bathroom. It's VERY unusual to see him at 6:30 in the morning, but I thought nothing of it. That is until I heard strange noises coming from that direction. I run to the bathroom and find him on his knees saying, "Mommy, I don't want to die.."

He was unable to breathe.

It sounded like an asthma attack. LB doesn't have asthma but the sound was just like it. I called the hospital and they had me check several things with him from the color of his lips to his ability to walk across the living room. He said his lungs felt tiny and his breathing was short and harsh. They advised me to call 911. The ambulance arrived and agreed that it sounded like an attack and asked me his history. They hooked him up to Albuterol and had me follow them to the hospital.

Upon arriving, the paramedic said that oddly his oxygen levels in his blood were "acceptable" considering how awful his breathing was. The Albuterol didn't help, and that told the doctor that he wasn't having an asthma attack. The doc checked him over and then asked him to cough. The cough. I knew what it was the second he did it.

For you parents out there... it turns out he has Croup!

He's eleven years old! Turns out, it's VERY rare for anyone over the age of 6 to develop it. Here's a little ditty from About.com about croup:

Croup is a common childhood viral illness that is easily recognized because of the distinctive characteristics that children have when they become infected. Like most viral illnesses, there is no cure for croup, but there are many symptomatic treatments that can help your child to feel better faster.

Croup, also called laryngotracheobronchitis, most commonly affects children between the ages of six months and three years, usually during the late fall, winter and early spring. Symptoms, which often include a runny nose and a brassy cough, develop about 2-6 days after being exposed to someone with croup.

One of the distinctive characteristics of croup is the abrupt or sudden onset of symptoms. Children will usually be well when they went to bed, and will then wake up in the middle of the night with a croupy cough and trouble breathing. The cough that children with croup have is also distinctive. Unlike other viral respiratory illnesses, which can cause a dry, wet, or deep cough, croup causes a cough that sounds like a barking seal.

Another common sound or symptom of croup is inspiratory stridor, which is a loud, high-pitched, harsh noise that children with croup often have when they are breathing in. Stridor is often confused with wheezing, but unlike wheezing, which is usually caused by inflammation in the lungs, stridor is caused by inflammation in the larger airways.

The pattern of symptoms in children with croup is also characteristic. In addition to beginning in the middle of the night, symptoms, which are often better during the day, worsen at night, although they are usually less intense each night. Symptoms also become worse if your child becomes anxious or agitated.

The symptoms of croup are caused by inflammation, swelling and the buildup of mucus in the larynx, trachea (windpipe) and bronchial tubes. Since younger infants and children have smaller airways, it makes sense that they are the ones most affected by croup. In contrast, older children will often just develop cold symptoms when they are infected by the same virus.

Children with croup will usually also have a hoarse voice, decreased appetite and a fever, which is usually low grade, but may rise up to 104 degrees F.

The doctor said that in his career, the oldest patient he treated with croup was 4, so an 11 year old kid is way out of the ordinary. *shrugs* He feels like shit but will recover. He's bored being on the couch and watching movies. I think he was really getting used to no television which i'm not complaining about...

Let's move on -

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My landlord is this really cool guy who I think we are totally blessed to have. I like him a lot and I am pretty sure they broke the mold with this one.

Cool Guy was over doing some work the other day. We chatted a lot about music and concerts, crap issues with heath care, how damn scary McCain and Clinton are, food and veganism.

As he was leaving I asked him a question about a part of the backyard that was a little barren to begin with. I pointed out that the spot would make an awesome garden and would he allow us to put one in. I even hinted that I would share in the organic bounty if he wanted. He walked over it a bit, and said he thought it would make a lovely spot for a garden and to go for it. *double take* Really? I wanted to do a happy dance right there but tried to remain calm.

This spot is no small shakes. We plotted a 20 x 12 patch not including a small space for herbs. Long story short, we got right to work and rototilled the spot yesterday. Now, I know we are starting a bit late, but we'll be using all starters once we add the organic compost and complete prepping the soil. We have done a little gardening before, but only in containers since we have NEVER had such a cool landlord before.


During the day, it does receive the most sunshine so don't let the shade fool you.


The herbs will go here, and we will have a lot of transplants from our Priestess, as well as some new starters, that we hope will take. I'm so looking forward to doing this and I can't tell you how excited I am that my landlord said GO FOR IT!

So my Call For Advice:

Books. Websites. Ideas. Anything you want to shoot my way, I would be forever grateful. Granted, we live in different climates, but whatever you feel will help us on this fun and scary journey, would be much appreciated by Bear and myself. So lay it on me...

Please.


12 hoots and hollers:

barefoot gardener said...

Woo-Hoo! A garden!

k, first of all, I gotta say sorry about the croupy 11 yr old. That has gotta be so miserable.

Back to the garden thing. I figure any old garden book is going to have pretty much the same info. Really, plants need the same things to grow. Water, air, soil...the basics. You can also find loads of good info online.

Read your seed catalogs. Even if you won't be ordering this year, get some seed catalogs. They have lots of good info about what each plant needs and where it likes to grow.

Get a 3 ring binder or lg notebook and keep notes of what you plant where, how well it grew, and whether or not you liked it.

The key is really the 3 ring binder. That way you can keep track of different techniques you use in your garden and how well they work as well as what flowers and veggies worked best and how well you liked them.

Have Fun!

Melisa & Erik Nielsen said...

I hope LB feels better quick! Croup in an 11yo is a bit like finding out my husband had mono! I went "what did you say he has?????"

Awesome about the garden!

Em said...

Congrats on the garden!

And croup...so scary for kids and their parents! Son18 had it at only 8 or 9 months of age. Two nights in the hospital. Very scary.

Hope he feels better soon!

Unknown said...

Hi, I found your blog at The Road Less Traveled.

I hope that your son is feeling better really soon.

I agree with the suggestion of writing down what you have planted and where. I didn't do it this year and I can't figure out which plant is which. I know that they are a tomato or a pepper but not which one. I will have a garden of surprises.

I wish you lots of success in your garden.

Mysti said...

Thanks Barefoot! I signed up last night for 5+ seed catalogs. Thanks for the tip... :) I'll definitely write everything down. I am a bit worried because outside of some container gardening, we are TOTAL virgins! *biting nails*

Melisa - Isn't that something. It amazes me what people contract and when. Hope Erik is feeling better. Mono sucks.. My brother had it once and I remember he wasn't lovin' it much.

Em - As you know, it's only seen in babies so this makes LB some sort of weirdo. LOL Poor guy. He's doing better today and I hope this doesn't happen again!

Summer Fae - You found me elsewhere? Whoo hoo! I'm on a blog I don't know about? Little ol' me? Went by there, but I don't see it. *shrugs* Awesome though. Let me know more specifically if you remember and i'll go by there and and add them too. And your getting added to the BlogRoll. *grins*

Wendy said...

Oh, there are so many good ones. Anything by Eliot Coleman is fantastic. He's got The New Organic Grower and Four Season Harvest. The first one is for market gardeners, but still has a ton of useful advice for home growers. Then there's Gaia's Garden by Toby Hemenway, which is about permaculture. Both of these have good info about planting green manures, plants that help the main plants grow by providing extra nutrients.

And I've been meaning to do a post about MyFolia.com. You can journal and keep track of all your gardens and various plants and ask questions. It seems really great.

And you and I are in the same climate, so we can keep an eye on each other's gardens. As soon as I finish my front yard, I'll be doing vege garden updates once every week or two.

Good Luck!

Wendy said...

And croup sucks. Joey had it several times when she was younger. That barky little cough is so sad. Luckily she had no problem with the breathing, though, just the cough. I hope your little guy feels better soon. At least it's been fairly rainy lately, so the moisture in the air should help a bit.

Anonymous said...

I wanted to do a garden this year but life got in the way. Maybe 2009 will be my year?!

Im so sorry that your little guy has croup. We had a couple of trips to the ER with my youngest when she was 4,5,6 but nothing since. Thanks for the reminder that she hasn't necessarily outgrown it.

I hope hes better soon.

BB

Mama Kelly

Wendy said...

Sorry to hear about your little guy being sick. That sucks!

As for the garden: Your Organic Garden by Jeff Cox has been the most invaluable resource we have (and we have a lot of them). Also, Stocking Up, which tells you what to do with all of that stuff once you have it ;).

Jederah said...

There's a book called "Country Wisdowm Know-How" I dont remember the author but the book itself is huge but what I really like in it is the natural pesticides and critter deterrents and the section on companion planting. Oh and I re-added you since youre back.

Mysti said...

Wendy and Wendy2 - Perfect! I'll be hunting these gems down at the library ASAP, or even Amazon if they are permanent keepers. :)

Wendy2 from Colorado - I would LOVE to see your garden some time. We need to just get together for some coffee. *hint*hint*

Mama Kelly - I'm thrilled you found your way to my little corner. Happy to meet you.. I read your blog, but have never commented. Guess I have to come out of the shadows. Did I mention your blog is fun too? It's on the blog roll.

Stephanie - This one sounds awesome! Anything with natural remedies is right perfect in my book. I'll add it to the list. Thanks! *hugs*

Lisa said...

Oh, how scary! I'm glad that LB will recover and not have to deal with asthma. My girls haven't ever had croup, so I wouldn't even know what to expect.

Gardening-make notes of what you plant, where and how it does so that you can compare when you plan next year and also when you harvest this year!

 
template by suckmylolly.com